Back To School Letter from Principal Carroll
Letter to Families From Principal Carroll
Dear Families and Friends of P.S.307:
I hope this communication finds you well and enjoying the summer. When our outstanding custodial staff makes their way down from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor of the school building and floor waxing is entirely underway, that is my cue to reach out and remind you that the start of school is just around the corner. Although I am sure you are receiving plenty of Back-to-School commercial reminders – there are things I want to share before I send out another communication later this week, before Labor Day weekend.
· The first day of school is Thursday, September 8th. Our school day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 2:20 p.m., Monday-Friday.
· Our school’s 2022-2023 calendar can be found here and on our school’s website: ps307brooklyn.org. Please note that events may be added over the course of the year, so it is a good idea to check it regularly.
· Like most school employees, we are in the habit of taking care of our medical checkups during the summer. My group of doctors can always expect to see me during the month of July and August. Hopefully, your child has had their annual check-up as well. It is vital that they are up to date on their required immunizations.
· While masks are no longer mandatory, staff and students are still encouraged to wear them in close spaces and with large groups. I advise that students carry a mask with them when coming to school and take a Covid test the day before school begins. As in the past, masks are also available at school and will be readily available.
· Access to supply lists can be found in my End of Year letter on our website, according to grade band. It is not necessary to bring all the supplies on the first day of school. Your teacher will be more specific with you on the first day about what is immediately needed. If, for whatever reason, you cannot get items on the supply list, please do not hesitate to let our Parent Coordinator, Anthony Williams ([email protected]) know or to inform the teacher. We are here to make things easier and not more complicated. 😊
· A 2023 Family Handbook will be available via our school’s website: ps307brooklyn.org later this week. In the meantime, a 2022 version is available.
· If we have your correct contact information, you will learn who your child’s classroom teacher is a day or so before the school year. We do this because enrollment can fluctuate as we register more students throughout the summer. During the summer months, we are also finalizing a few staff assignments. I promise you that your teachers are eager to meet their students as well.
· Regarding contact information, please ensure that we have your accurate information on file. To successfully make it through the school year, you will also need to make sure you have an NYC schools account for your child. I cannot stress this enough. With one login in, you will gain access to cool features, such as:
1. Your child’s grades, test scores, and more in My Student
2. Take classes at Parent University
3. Get access to forms for your child
4. Reset your child’s DOE account password. All students will have a DOE account.
5. Access SupportHub
6. Review your child’s bus route information if they receive bus transportation.
I wish everyone a great week, and as you plan for the start of the school year, here is a Positive Mindset Planner from Big Life Journal. You and your child can start planning for a positive school year!